The Amazon Prime Scam And How To Avoid It

Have you heard about the Amazon Prime Scam? If you haven’t, you need to read this article. Learn the easy tips that can help you avoid the latest scam hitting the UK. Prevention is your magical key to stop these scammers affecting your life and your bank balance.

You might think that you are savvy enough to avoid the Amazon Prime telephone scam. But the scammers are smooth-talking criminals. They have no conscience about targeting the most vulnerable in our society.

Amazon Prime scam affecting the most vulnerable

Amazon Prime Scam – The Shocking Details

The global giant Amazon is now a household name. Its popularity has managed to create a high level of trust with us all. Unfortunately, the scammers are using this trust to target victims. Their job is to steal your money and personal information.

The police have already received hundreds of complaints across the UK about the Amazon Prime scam. Unfortunately, these complaints are the only the ones that have been reported. Scammers have already attacked thousands of victims, and the figure is rising.

Amazon Prime telephone scam
Amazon Prime telephone scam

How Does The Amazon Prime Scam Work?

• A potential victim receives a pre-recorded automated call, claiming that they have been charged incorrectly for an Amazon Prime subscription.
  • The victims believe that if they press number 1, they will be able to cancel the transaction for Amazon Prime.
  • By pressing the number 1, they are opening themselves up to two potential dangers – 1) A connection to a convincing scammer, pretending to be an Amazon Customer Service employee, and or, 2) A connection to a premium rate phone number.
  • The scammer will offer to fix the Amazon security problem. The victim is encouraged to download the Team Viewer app. After this is active on the computer, the scammer requests that they check the payment for you in your online bank account.
  • The Team Viewer app gives the criminal complete remote access to the computer. It gives them the ability to monitor all your movements online. They can harvest your bank account information, credit card details and personal passwords.
Tips To Stop Amazon Prime scam
Tips To Stop Amazon Prime scam

7 Tips To Stop The Amazon Prime Scam

Conning victims to part with their well-earned cash is easy for scammers. They are professional and very organised. Thankfully, there are steps you can take to prevent this happening to you. Use these useful tips to protect yourself from the scammers, and to stop the Amazon Prime scam affecting your life.

Tip #1 – Keep A Record Of Your Subscriptions

Sometimes we do not keep track of all our subscriptions. Start making a note of all your subscriptions, including Amazon Prime if you already have it. Stay organised by keeping a comprehensive list of your subscriptions, and you will be able to handle any suspicious call that comes your way.

Creating this list will only take you a few minutes, and your organisation will keep you one step ahead of the scammers.

Tip #2 – Guard Your Credit Card And Bank Details

The CVC number (3 digits) on the back of your credit card is there for a good reason. It is an extra level of protection against fraud.

If somebody calls about Amazon Prime, this should set alarm bells ringing immediately. Remember, you are within your rights to refuse to give any information. Protect your financial and personal details.

Tip #3 – Be Confident To Vet The Caller

Sadly, many scammers deliberately target older people in our society. They know that many older people live by themselves. They may not have the confidence to question somebody on the telephone.

The Head of Action Fraud, Pauline Smith, said this about the Amazon Prime scam “If you’ve received an unexpected phone call or other communication, stop and take a minute to think about whether an organisation would get in touch with you out of the blue in this way.”

Tip #4 – Never Install Apps/Software From A Cold Call

If somebody advises that you should install the Team Viewer app, or any software on to your computer, regard this as suspicious. There is no need to install anything on your computer.

If you have reached this stage in the call, refuse point blank to download anything and hang up. You can deal with any issues directly with Amazon by calling them on an official number.

Tip #5 – Hang Up Immediately

If you have read the beginning of the article, you will have a clear understanding of the scammer’s intentions.

Distracting you on the call is one of the benchmarks of a criminal scamming network. They intend to gain your trust in the call. Please don’t give them the option and cut the communication by hanging up. By hanging up, this will help you avoid any premium rate calls.

Tip #6 – Use A Professional Call Blocker

Using a professional call blocker can help you block these type of scam calls and give you the peace of mind that you need. Check out our Callblocker app. It will provide you with instant protection against any nuisance calls.

Tip #7 – Update Your Online Security

Police are advising the public to regularly update their online security software and passwords for their online bank accounts.

Takeaway – Amazon Prime Scam

The Amazon Prime scam has already affected thousands of UK residents. The good news is, you can take control of the situation and put measures in place to protect yourself. Use the tips above, and seriously consider investing in a callblocker to stop the spam calls in their tracks.

Please help others by sharing your personal experiences with the Amazon Prime scam. Detail them in the comments section below.

29 thoughts on “The Amazon Prime Scam And How To Avoid It

1. Linda Grieser

I live in the USA. I have never heard of this scam. I just got a call telling me I owe almost $3000 for something I purchased. I dont have an account with Amazon – I did hit the number to let them know they had the wrong number. The guy kept saying “You do have an account with us.” I told him to F… Off and hung up. I googled and found this. WOW>

1. d Jones

Just received a phone call saying that Amazon Prime will be taking money from my account. If I wanted to cancel this, I should dial 1. I didn’t do this. The telephone number that the call was from was 07940452805

2. Regina Fogg

I received a call 20 minutes ago from 01645 199103 purporting to be from Amazon Prime. After telling the Asian sounding man that I don’t use Prime he then asked whether I had a laptop, computer or smartphone. After telling him no he hung up on me.

3. John law

Being receiving calls about Amazon prime account (which I don’t have) about three or four calls a day ,being going on for about two weeks,just an annoying nuisance ,calls came from 01922633973 .

4. Cecilia Dean

Receiving calls supposed to be from Amazon most days on a variety of numbers. The usual scam saying I will be denoted £79.99 a month

5. Sue McGinness

I have had two calls today on my landline, supposedly from Amazon, about my Amazon Prime account. I don’thave a Prime account. Both calls have been spoken by a woman with an American accent. Each call has come from different number, the first one was from 0351531818. The second was from 01047235240. I hung up straight away. As my landline is with Sky, I can get their Sky Shield for free, so that is what I am going to do now.

6. Nairb

Recently received a call reportedly from Amazon prime. They will take £79.99 per month unless I press option 1
    I don’t have Amazon prime. Phone number 0175711523

7. Sickofem!

I see the Amazon Prime scammers are back
    Just had the usual call ,press 1 to renew or speak to adviser but seeing I am not a member I hung up.
    The number they called from was 07243662357

8. Angela Kehoe-Jones

I have just received the umpteenth call from an Amazon Prime Scammer. I have lost count if the number of these scam calls I have had over the past 12 months.
    Fortunately, the very first time this happened, I sensed pretty quickly that it was a scam and put down the phone immediately. I have been contacted from withheld numbers and international numbers but today it was from location in Royston, East of England and the number was 01763 040061. It is always a call to my landline, a number which Amazon does not have.

9. June Lancaster

Had two calls in the last week from them saying they were calling from Amazon and to dial 1. Last number was 01357 146315.
    They are a real pain!

10. Ruth Curran

Just received a scam call to press 1 to cancel Amazon Prime which I don’t have 03763501349

11. Karen

Two automated calls today saying £79 will be taken from my account and I can press option 1 to speak to an advisor. 01763 316039 and 01263 652671.

12. russell

I had a message left on my landline from amazon. it was a woman saying I was to get $9.99 taken out of my bank account. I was to press 1 to call them back if I didn’t want this to happen. I live in Bendigo Australia. The number that called was 001181798678916. Sick of Scammer trying to rip me off.

13. Maggie

I received two calls this morning pro porting to be from Amazon advising that they were taking money out of my account, then one later at 0909 offering me a refund .Asked to press 1 to speak to someone. the last call was from 00651532350

14. John Bartley

Called from 07769956412 and foolishly pressed 1 as I was already planning to cease the Prime trial that very day. A woman offered to guide me through the Prime cancellation process and passed me to a male colleague when I said I was having difficulty understanding her accent. Then dawned on me this was probably a scam and said so. The male was very abusive shouting and screaming how dare I accuse him of being a scammer. Hung up and they rang me straight back. Hung up again and left phone off hook for a while. Hopefully a lucky escape. I feel that there must be someone on the inside supplying details.

15. Ginny Colman

I got scammed by them today. I am devastated I emailed my bank manager at Barclays and he saved the day. I was busy, tired, and not on the ball. I am shocked at my own stupidity. but I have survived and they cannot Rob me of that! i hope they read this and I hope they know that every pound in my account is earned it’s not there cos I stole it!

16. Richard Weaver

I just had a call on my land line telling me my Amazon Prime account will be auto renewed at such-and-such time (can’t remember details) unless I wished to cancel it. The voice was certainly automated and sounded like low quality text to speech. Since I don’t use Amazon Prime I hung up.

17. Susan

I was called today Thursday 30/07/2020 from 01463774328 it was an automated call saying My Amazon account has been hacked, i didn’t listen to any more and hung up, that was about 8:30a.m then at 8:35a.m i received another call from 017609514 i believe it was the same scam as they ring you back on a different number when their first call to you didn’t work out as they had planned..scammers. i have had a number of these calls and it is getting out of hand i just wish there was somewhere these calls can be stopped for good…there are some evil people in this world, a lot of these numbers that i have checked have Chinese area code numbers there are hundreds of them.

18. Michael Kay

5 of these calls in one day. It’s getting absurd. Surely the phone companies could easily put a stop to it if they wanted to? Beginning to suspect that it’s a sufficiently high proportion of total phone traffic that the the phone companies actually benefit from the revenue.

19. Peter MacDonald

Received an automated call this morning on my landline number. I stupidly pressed Option 1. Spoke briefly to an Indian accented woman who asked me to open my laptop or PC and the penny finally dropped – stage 1 of the scam was underway. Hung up immediately. You have to be on your guard 24/7 these days. When will the business community group together to prevent this type of fraud? I actually DID have an Amazon Prime account and I did cancel it. Someone, somewhere is leaking data to these thieves but what they don’t understand – the business community that is – that folk like me are now wary of any transaction undertaken with any provider and won’t complete online transactions.

20. Adrian Etheridge

yet another automated call purporting to be from Amazon called from 01568712285 I just hung up its about time the authorities did something about it

21. s.j.d.

Three calls from different numbers regarding Amazon Prime this morning. Rang off immediately, as I aways do, and then blocked the number by the 1572 service. Always the same automated call of a female voice; I must have had dozens in total.

22. Averil Wootton

Received call today at about 13.20

Long silent pause before anything happened- this suggested it was an unexpected international call.

Synthetic voice (American accent, female, presumably recorded) informed me that my Amazon Prime account had been renewed, didn’t check that was an Amazon customer or if I was who they wanted to speak to. I hung up mid-message.

I’ve never had a Prime Account; my husband was briefly bounced into one by Amazon but he cancelled almost immediately, before free period was up. We refuse to deal with Amazon now – paying almost £80 a year was unreasonable for the little we’d use them, £80 per month would be extortion.

Telephone no was 0001910829753 – so far haven’t been able to identify it.

Shall let the phone ring, then check for messages.

23. Jodi

Received a call today at 9am MST from 902-613-6462.

Automated female. They were going to charge me $399 for renewing my Amazon Prime, if I didn’t want this to go through my bank account I was to press 1 & speak to the account manager to cancel. Very demanding. If I hung up, they would charge my account straight away, so I better press 1 if I didn’t want this charge to go through…
    I am forwarding info to info@onlinethreatalerts.com

24. Roy

They are very persistent: had 4 calls before 12.00 hrs today 23/09/20 – all from different Nos: 01284-908253: 01397-867456;
    07312-524773; 01359-777942.
    All recorded messages from the same female voice with mid- Atlantic action starting; ‘Hi this is a call from AMAZON……..’
    This is not a recent scam but this is the 1st time we’ve had 4 calls in a morning. The recording used to vary, with a rather cultured male voice, but the same message. I have usually hung up by AMA…, but occasionally check to see they have not changed their tune. Various Nos, have been reported to a number of UK agencies, but it still goes on!

25. Julian

UK.
    Today received Amazon Prime scam call from 01379 208049. As I don’t have a Prime account, I hung up.
    Previous similar call received from 01728 688272 on 30.7.2020. Call blocker doesn’t work as different numbers used